Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Week 5 - Blog 3: Transaction Culture (Ch. 11)

A transaction culture, which is a new mixture of one culture (Culture A) and another (Culture B), occurs when a Culture A person interacts with Culture B person, and it helps to develop mindful communication, according to Bell and Williams (p. 353). I think the context in my workplace (a college) proves this concept because we have a population consisting of a huge cultural diversity, such as Cultures A to Z (or more than that), and we create our own culture by respecting and blending the diverse cultures. I really like our culture and atmosphere that made my life lively (I'm a very curious person). Also, we can apply this concept for language use (since my major is Applied Linguistics), such as idiolects between my husband (Californian) and me (Japanese), and between me and my children. We create our own language/words by blending the different languages/words to have mindful communication. BTW, I heard that the more idiolects a couple in a relationship have, the more love between them exists. Do you believe this?

2 comments:

  1. Transaction culture is displayed the most within colleges. Mindful communication is constantly used throughout intereaction in classrooms or even getting assisants from somenbody. San jose state is pretty diverse, i am always seening different cultures being clased to together for what ever the matter may be. Language is sometimes a barrier, but yet college students tend to make the best out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think in a way we can't help, bu adapt ourselves to the new people, languages and customes. Colleges are great places to meet new people from all over the world. I also work at a college and it has been very interesting learning of how eventhough our families all come from different places we tend to share challenges. Language has always been an interest of mine. Mainly because English is not my first language and I know the challenges that come with learning a new language. But most of the time while we are learning a new language we are sharing a part of each other with one another.

    ReplyDelete