Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Week 4 - Blog 2: Personal Brand (Ch. 7)

"Personal Brand" is one of the concepts described on p. 217, and according to the authors it means that "Through a variety of popular texts, employees are increasingly encouraged to treat the self as an enterprise, and ongoing project, and even a brand that can be managed," and the best way to do so is to turn into a "personal brand." Even though I'm not a "winning personal brand," I think I utilize this strategy well in my workplace because I have been implementing being "responsive to any opportunities, self-motivating and self-promoting." When I work in class as a teacher, I could be a CEO of an enterprise in the name of the class (but should never be a dictator, though). Also, I'm a "family CEO" because I treat my family (my husband, two babies, and a dog) as an enterprise to make our life easier. Even my husband, who has become a COO for a non-profit organization in the Bay Area, follows me. However, since I have more freedom to be a personal brand at home, I should keep in mind not to be self-centered.

3 comments:

  1. At my job we are often encouraged to develop our "personal brand" by developing real relationships with our customers and even have a 'personal book' with the names and phone numbers of our clients. In this way, we are enabled to be in control of how successful we are and are motivated to learn new selling techniques and improve our overall knowledge of the product in order to beat out all of the other competing "personal brands."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personal branding is an interesting concept. You have given great example of how you have established your branding at your home. I think we all start branding ourselves from childhood onwards, without even realizing it. We all have different friends and family members whom we might have branded as the nagger, the go-to person, the humorous, the diva, etc.

    Treating self as an enterprise is a fairly new concept that I am learning. I have seen that when we are looking for jobs, we are actually selling ourselves, so we are basically selling ourselves as the enterprise. We highlight our skills and brand ourselves to potential employers hoping to get the job we want. But I didn't realize that certain companies are asking their employees to develop a "personal brand," like Wilki mentioned above. I think that is an excellent strategy to increase customer loyalty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of the concept "personal brand" before reading you post, but I really liked how you related it to your life. Our personal brands are different, but we have similarities in our lives from our work compared to home. My fiance has the career where she works full-time and I work part-time and go to school full-time, yet at home I am the CEO so to speak. I take on this responsibility for our benefit and also to make life easier for the both of us and you do with your family. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete