Monday, June 29, 2009

Week 5 - Blog 1: Supportiveness (Ch. 9)

One of the four essential characteristics for leaders to have effective communication is supportiveness (p. 288). Also, the authors state that supportive communication "emphasized active listening and taking a real interest in employees." In my workplace (a college), I have a few supervisors for my job (teaching), and fortunately they implement the supportive communication approach towards the staff (teaching assistants). They listen to our stories, in both official and personal, and support us to work effectively, such as scheduling, material preparation, student enrollments, and sometimes "feeding" us (such as snacks and so forth), so we can concentrate on teaching. Also, we trust one another; for example, when a student has a problem in the program, we work together to solve the problem for the student. I think I myself also a leader for my students, so I try to communicate with them in the supportive communication manner so that I can create a good rapport with them in class and the students could improve their English skills comfortably.

4 comments:

  1. You are fortunate to have supervisors who implement supportive communication. It would be very difficult (especially for a teacher) to communicate with your supervisor if they were not supporting you. As a leader I made sure to implement the supportive communication approach to my staff. I don't command or order them around like machines. I understand they are people with lives outside of work and show my respect for that. All of my staff at one point have come to me for advise for work and their personal life. I never turn down a question and I always give my honest opinion. I think that is why my staff feels comfortable talking to me instead of other supervisors because of my approachability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a workplace without implement supportive communication would be very difficult, uncomfortable and sometimes even hostile I would assume. I work as a sales associate so there really is nobody lower than I am. I am glad that my superiors do not boss me around and think they are the elite. I would like to think that I can continue a friendly relationship with my peers at work without thinking we are a part of a hierarchy and I am their servant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree with what Miss Potato said about implement supportive communication. I too work in a job where there is no one lower than me. I am a nanny for two kids so I guess my boss is the mother and father. I am not part of a hierarchy which is kind of relieving because it seems like it could get demanding and political. I know someday when I get my first real job after college I will come into that kind of workplace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with your post about supportiveness. it seems as though people are much more likely to become ore involved in their workplace if they feel the support of management and other leaders through out the organization. When management is non supportive, the employees do not get very excited to succeed because they will not get the rise they are hoping for. When we as leaders are supportive and motivating, it makes employees feel comfortable, supported and they want to do good for their organization.

    ReplyDelete